Forbes has compiled a helpful summary of the key differences between doing your next executive search on contingency vs. hiring a firm for a retained search.
There are differences between a contingency recruiter and a retained recruiter. A contingency recruiter works to supply a greater number of candidates to a hiring company in order to enhance placement odds. While contingency search offers an appropriate option for immediate, shorter term and candidate-focused circumstances, retained executive search firms offer hiring companies a distinct set of necessities:
• Higher-end screening for clients who want only final candidates for selection
• Delicate negotiations required to persuade the candidate to shift to a new position
• C-level placement and commensurate compensation and benefits consideration
• The highest levels of confidentiality
• Extended third-party negotiations