Who are We
ViaSat is a leading satellite communications company with a mission to connect the world. After launching the revolutionary ViaSat-1 and now preparing for the launch of ViaSat-2 in 2017, the company continues to raise the bar in satellite communications technology. Through its innovative technology and communications platforms, ViaSat provides reliable, high-speed internet connectivity to aircraft, vessels, facilities, and homes in locations inaccessible by traditional providers. ViaSat is an established publicly traded (NASDAQ: VSAT) company that has a startup environment. ViaSat’s innovative technology and nimble organization offer all 4,000 team members the opportunity to be part of providing mission-critical network connectivity and security to key business and government clients around the world. At ViaSat, “We think big, we act intelligently, and we’re not done… we’re just beginning.”
In your role as the Satellite Operations Center Manager you will be a builder and an operator. You will initially oversee the design, buildout and commissioning of the company’s Satellite Operations Center, followed by implementation and ongoing operations of ViaSat’s Satellite Operations Center. You will oversee the hiring and training of a new operations team, work with the facilities development team to build out primary and redundant facilities, lead procurement of control hardware, software and TT&C equipment and network integration as required to operate ViaSat’s growing fleet of satellites.
Reporting to the Director of Space Systems, the Satellite Operations Center Manager will lead the Satellite Operations team in carrying out its duties of operating and maintaining a complex and growing satellite fleet. The candidate will be responsible for overseeing accessibility and availability of the fleet and work with the engineering and leadership teams to escalate and resolve issues. This high-visibility role is critical to ViaSat’s mission.
Our Ideal Candidate
You have extensive experience in operating satellites and managing a satellite operations center. You have an eye for talent and an ability to identify, hire, train, and develop the talented technical staff required to execute the mission of safely and successfully operating our groundbreaking satellites. You are a business-savvy, innovative problem solver with a positive, “can do” attitude and have well-honed organizational skills that give you the ability to balance multiple priorities and meet specific deadlines. You are flexible – comfortable with change and continually adjusting your work habits to adapt to evolving demands in an unstructured environment. Building strong relationships across functional areas is imperative to success in this position.
- ITAR/EAR access required – candidates must be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident, or Green Card holder.
- First line supervision experience and the ability to hire, manage, and lead Satellite Engineers, Flight Dynamics Engineers, Ground System Engineers, and Satellite Controllers.
- Ability to ensure all personnel maintain required qualifications to operate the spacecraft and ground systems.
- Ability to establish relationships with other ViaSat operational entities including network operations, information technology, and information security.
- Ability to validate training required for the operations team and ensure attendance.
- Must be available for 24/7 on-call support.
- 15+ years of experience in geosynchronous communications satellite operations, including SOC management.
- General knowledge of commercial spacecraft, spacecraft subsystems, orbital operations and orbital dynamics.
- Background and mentoring ability in COTS satellite control system operations and supporting ground network TT&C infrastructure.
- Experience with Kratos ISI EPOCH® T&C, Harris OS/COMET® or GMV hifly®, MATLAB, AGI STK software.
- Specific knowledge of the BSS-702 and SSL 1300 platforms desired.
- Experience developing, presenting, and executing a large-scale budget.
- Experience interacting with senior management and the ability to report spacecraft status and resolution information.
The role offers a highly competitive salary with equity, along with Restricted Share Units (RSU) and bonus potential. An outstanding benefits package is included, as well as a relocation package as needed.
Charles Nailen, VP Technology
Jeff Perkins, CEO